With a very healthy stack of new fabrics to work with, i turned my attention to sketchbooks from the past few years, and pulled some ideas that leaped out at me. Some date back to 2011, and gave a recurring theme. Browns, soft vintage violets and lavenders, machine work (!!!!yes) and “stacked” techniques, these are jump off points, and may or may not be incorporated in some form.
I’m calling this period/amalgamation the “Milkweed Studies”, though some of the resulting work won’t be recognizable as milkweeds! I started thinking about milkweeds back in 2013 when i was in FAN but never completed the piece and had to drop out of the exhibit, something that embarrassed and horrified me, as it was a collaborative effort with someone else. Being a gardener and protector of bees, butterflies and other pollinators, also means these plants are vital in my world view, despite the invasive label they have in some areas.
A few pieces get dropped right away, though filed for other work in the “series” maybe, and i am left with these:
The small black and purple page is a line study of sorts; though it’s a pattern in a sense, it will be merely a guideline with the fabric above it. The small milkweed paint sketches are my real focus, but they won’t be translated as purely in the final work.
As excited as i am by the face and figure pieces of fabric that i did during the residency, and though i have started on one face already, this is where my focus will be for the next while. I have a deadline again with the residency show, and will work this into the theme of “SelfEdge”, as the interpretation is rather loose. (It’s all in the artist statement when and how you write it 🙂 )
I’m going to incorporate hand and machine work again, something i haven’t done in awhile. My purist, obsessive side disagrees, but my pragmatic, it’s-just-a-tool side is thrilled. Let the
fight games begin!