I didn’t consider it complete until it was stretched and mounted, though the stitching was finished the first week of July.
The first figure attachment was a bit nerve-wracking. I had to be very aware of not only placement–imagine if i’d had to tear out hundreds of little stitches because it’s 1cm from where it should be, and then worry about the original *and* added tension also. Too tight and i can’t properly stretch the whole work, and too loose and it will be floppy instead of floating….
Second figure was much easier, “old hand” now that i am now 🙂
The binary quotation:
I am very lucky in having a patron who commissioned this, and gave me leeway as to subject matter and timeline. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this, Mister X!
Because of the size, i bought stretcher bars, a cross brace and canvas and put it together myself. No doubt, i will/can do this again for other works that don’t fit “conventional” sizes of ready-made. When i start a work, it is the size it is to begin with 🙂
EDIT: A. Thank goodness for Greyman’s help. The joints were SO tight, we had to shave them.
B. WTF? I measured this sucker THREE times, so HOW the hell did i buy stretchers that are TOO BIG????
C. Started again with new shorter bars………… Now there’s a really big extra canvas to use for something else………….
The shorter stretcher bars i bought went together much easier. I asked the fellow at the art supply store, and he said we shouldn’t shave at all, that the pieces DO fit together very tightly (demonstrating by actually shoving the pieces together with no body english involved–his 30-year-old hands are obviously much stronger than our 50something appendages!). I’m thinking because it was so hot and humid that week we did the first one, that it swelled. (That’s our
excuse reasoning.) I sweated profusely and my hands shook when it was time to actually mount it: i was petrified i’d booboo’d again, that threads would snap, and areas would pull too much, that it would be wonky, miscentred, and just WRONG. Took me an hour to do because i had to keep stopping to calm down!
Now we had to crate it for shipping (fortunately for “domestic” delivery, ie within Canada)–and that means we’ll be building the crate too.
The next part of this project is to complete the accompanying journal, front and back covers below:
I feel a bit like this now that it’s done: