I’d buy them myself, but i have enough already in my stash 🙂
I had to make a new indigo vat, as the old one while having been successfully revived last year (after going through 3 frozen outside Calgary winters!), is now defunct, kaput, gone to the Great Blue in the Sky Vat. The 123 vat, well, we just won’t go there again…….i took the lid off and i’m sure the neighbours three doors down heard my horrified gasp. It’s definitely a note to throw out when it’s GREY, molded and has a suspicious pancake of solid yellow schmutz in the bottom that won’t break up……
As i was going through drawers and boxes, looking not only for dyes and chemicals, but fabrics as well, i realized too that it’s almost an anniversary, 8 years of natural dye, sometime around the beginning of August, and wow have i come a long way! In the beginning, i played and got lovely colours that didn’t last (no mordants!), used things that didn’t really qualify as a dye (lilac flowers, anyone?), but i learned from this what would give colour, a bit about post modifying, and got quite excited about indulging a childhood passion for “potions” and finally that actual RESEARCH means you can do it right, right from the start. I really knew nothing about natural dyeing, in respect to process, though i did know the basic history. Along the way, i also learned to ecoprint/contact print/botanical print, whatever you want to call it 🙂
Subsequently, in the shop are some wonderful combinations of natural dye, ecoprint and indigo. The prices are low, considering the processes, and the size, so please, do indulge yourself:) As always, any extra postage you paid will be refunded!
That’s a page from a 2007 “fabric art journal”, a time for me of experimenting and heavy machine embroidery. “Kirlian Hand” is a portrayal of the so-called phenomena of a person’s “aura”. Named after Semyon Kirlian’s accidentally discovered observation in 1939, that if an object on a photographic plate is connected to a high-voltage source, an image is produced on the photographic plate—- and touted in the 70’s as captures of the human spirit! (My ex was heavily into this, Hollow Earth theory, pyramid power, Chariots of the Gods alien conspiracy, and the whole “new age” crapola of the time….used to drive me nuts…but then *he* was/is.)
Anyhoo, i did like the design possibilities of this, so wth. The hand was cut from screen printed fabric, all of the embroidery is by free motion and the abalone shell piece was attached with glue and beads (i think..the page is somewhere in a box with other relics of the time, in a little room at the back of the house so stuffed i can’t get into it. Note to self: do something about that this weekend, there’s some Good Stuff in there too…)
It’s interesting to look at old work and not only remember how and why it was done, but to go forward with it as well, in a new direction. Yeah, some of the results from the way back machine are either embarrassing or weak, but some of it is still valid, good, intriguing, and touches a chord. Let’s roll with it!
As i mentioned in a previous post, i’m working on improving my ecoprinting skills, and while my little tests are very quite promising, i’m not completely satisfied yet, BUT, i can still use some of the bits in the Summer of Madder Study project 🙂 I’m going to “condense” the above layout a bit, due to the size of the moon i want to use, because the original layout would make too big a section to work on comfortably, considering the scale.
I’ll have to be tender with the moon too: a silk, i always have problems with stitching on this fabric, by hand or machine, as the threads of the fabric tend to “pull” when the needle goes through. I’ve tried finer threads, and smaller eye bulbed needles, but haven’t solved the mystery yet, so minimal stitching on the moon. Given though that the details are so fine and so delicious, less is more anyways: not everything has to be encrusted!
And the potential layout–just pretend/imagine the fingers are separate so the moon shines through 🙂
A pile of two finished pieces, however small, is still a pile :), as the pocket is here.
The next section will be “whole cloth”, rather than pieced/collaged.
Some idiot at the major BRT construction site last night hit the water main feeder that supplies our two blocks. We’ve had no water since 7PM last evening, and nothing was done until about 10 this morning, because of course first priority was a fight between the city and the construction company about who was responsible for fixing it. ASSHATS. An emergency water services thingie showed up sometime in the night, and we have to lug big bottles in to flush, wash and water the animals. No word either as to when it will actually be DONE. Better i suppose than having to lug a bucket down to the river——which is impossible at the moment anyways, as the riverbank is unreachable now due to the construction of a new bus bridge and remediation of the banks after the 2013 flood………………..probably a good thing also because i have a hard time keeping a DogFaced Girl on a leash out of the river and balancing a bucket on my head at the same time. Things slosh.
SIGH. So, dyeing requires water. Ain’t got none. Pause in the dyeing escapades then, perhaps a good thing, as i am capable of other things in the studio.
I pulled out the threads again, and have almost finished the first section of the garment for the Summer of Madder (Study) project.
I have a few leaves left to do, a bit on the yellow strip, and have decided that the big floaty roses that worked as big floaty roses on the pocket, need to be “grounded” on this section.
I love these little figures!